Monday 29 December 2008

My First A4 Book

I have just completed my first A4 book. It was quite hard work as it is so big - I had to make quite a lot of it on the floor as my work ‘table’ wasn’t big enough for it.
I love the wall paper that I’ve used to cover it in, (I may have to find some more of that) but I can see several places that I could have done better. The stitching and the end pages don’t match very well – the stitching being brilliant blue and the end pages being greeny/grey. And because it was so big I didn’t feel like I had much control over the pages when stitching them together. All things I can work on to improve in the future. I quite like the end product, but I think I will keep A4 books for when I find paper or material with a really huge pattern on it. Back to the smaller books then.

So you can get an idea of the size I was working on, I was working with A3 paper folded in half to make A4 pages. The covers are slightly bigger than A4 so they protect the pages, when laid flat that was much bigger than A3.
Normally if I am working on an A5 book, the pages are A4 folded in half and if it’s an A6 book its A4 torn in half then folded in half again. I’m sure you get the idea.
I’ve included this photo of a family of books to show the difference. They go down in size – A4, A5 and A6.


No comments: