Sunday 12 April 2009

Knit One, Purl One

As if I don’t have enough to do right now, I’ve got the sudden urge to learn to knit again. My dad taught me when I was little and my mum helped me out when I got stuck, but I haven’t done any for years.
Then I was browsing on Etsy I came across some really lovely patterns, particularly one for a bear and one for a bag, and the urge came on me, not just to be able to knit, but to actually make something from my knitting that isn’t a scarf.
Luckily my friend Katie, who always seems to have a ball of wool and at least one set of needles with her, was most obliging on Friday afternoon, and patiently showed me what to do. Once I’d been reminded my fingers seemed to remember what was needed. Above is what I’ve done so far. Practice makes perfect after all. Katie also suggested the learn2knit website, which has some excellent diagrams on how to knit. Once I’m happy that I can do it right, I shall have a go at the bear I think. Of course that will mean learning to read knitting patterns!
Watch this space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to be of service. Anything for the cause of knitting. :)