Friday 20 April 2012

A new perspective

Last weekend, much to my surprise, I ran 4 whole miles.
I shouldn’t really be surprised; I did after all set out to run 4 miles.  But it had taken me a good six months to run a whole 3 miles (about 5km) and this was only my second attempt to run 4.  Not only did I manage to run all of it, including the steepest hill I’ve ever seen, but I also managed it in just under 39 mins.  As you can imagine I’m very pleased with myself, even if my knees are starting to question my sanity.

I think a lot of this is to do with belief.  I never believe I would be able to run; never mind 4 miles.  So every time I tried to run the 3 miles my brain would tell me that I couldn’t run the whole thing, I’d have to walk some of it, even though my breathing and my legs were fine.
With the 4 miles I was doing fine, but coming to my second smaller hill and thinking how I’d never make it, I should walk now, when I came across a little boy ‘running’ with his dad.  I ran past them and then thought ‘I can’t stop’ at least not while they could see me.  By the time I was out of sight I was back on the flat and suddenly realised that there was no reason why I shouldn’t run the whole thing.  So I did.

Good luck to everyone running the London Marathon this weekend.  For the first time in my life I am starting to see why you do it.

No comments: