Monday 25 November 2013

Hobbycraft - a treasure trove?

Yesterday we went to Hobbycraft.  It was my first ever visit and I was blown away by it.

All my life I have spent collecting materials for making stuff; sometimes out of the bin – cereal boxes or paper that’s only been printed on one side; or from one of my dad’s sheds; or from wonderful tiny art shops where everything you could think of is crammed into this tiny space; or while I was at art college from the old department store across the road from the college who had a great haberdashery department; or even from somewhere like B&Q.

Every project has needed a plan just to get the materials, especially as the wonderful art shops are closing down and I’ve moved to a different location.  So to walk into one big store and find pretty much everything I’ve ever dreamed of and a bunch more is amazing and in away a little scary.

I love those little art shops, you know the one’s where you have to be careful when you turn round that you don’t wipe out a whole display, but they are definitely on the decline and with a store like Hobbycraft around I suddenly understand why. 

So I have mixed feelings about it.  Part of me is amazed at all the wonderful things on offer and I’d happily go back and spend another couple of hours looking round, while on the other hand I would rather spend my money in one of those little shops in the hope that they will continue to exist for a bit longer.  The problem is with the items that the little art shops just don’t have the room to stock.  Where else could I have got the length of balsa wood or the star cutting stamp that we picked up yesterday except maybe the internet?

I think I will have to add it to my list of possible suppliers but just make sure I start with the tiny independent shops first.

No comments: