Wednesday 15 July 2015

Granny Squares


After last weeks beginner crochet class I've been practicing.  We were given the patterns for a couple of tiny shapes and of course my favourite is the star.  If I'm not careful I will have many stars and no idea what to do with them all.

Today I went back to Stitched By You for a 2 hour session on Granny Squares.  These are the base for most crocheted blankets and other things so I thought it might be a good place to start now I know the stitches.  I bought some lovely pastel wool from the wool shop in town (I like to share the love) and think it will make a really nice blanket.  I think it might be fun to play with the colour combinations to make a pattern too.


Then we started making circles.  These can also be used to make blankets.  Again different colours can be used for each section, or just the one - the possibilities are amazing.  Helen the tutor then showed us how you would go about joining your circles together - in a more elegant way then just stitching them together but we ran out of time to try for ourselves.  I was really pleased with the end result and now feel very much ready to make something for myself.


No comments: