Wednesday 11 November 2015

Knitted poppy


Last summer I came across a knitting pattern for a poppy.  As I'm trying to improve my knitting skills while creating things I actually want I thought it might be quite a nice project.  I ordered myself some wool and had a go.

Detail of the leaf
However, while the stalk, leaf and petals came together quite well I got stuck on the tiny black centre.  I tried so many times to make it and in the end actually snapped the end off one of my bamboo needles! And so I gave up.  I couldn't knit it with one needle.  
Then on the stars and snowflakes crochet workshop a couple of weeks ago one of the ladies had a knitted poppy with a button centre.  Perfect!  I raided my button jar as soon as I got home.


I am so please with how its come out.  I deliberately worked a safety pin into the stalk while making it up so its easy to attached, but maybe a tiny bit too big to wear.  I think it looks great on my bag.

But while this was a nice project to work on and I am happy with the end result I have not forgotten why we wear our poppies.  

We will not forget!

No comments: