Saturday 17 February 2018

The Loch Ness Marathon - part 1


If you read this blog a bit, you might know that I like running.  I like the space it gives me to think and the effect it has on my body.  Although mostly I just run for me, I do like to race sometimes.  It gives me a focus for my training.
I've never really thought marathons sound that appealing (although weirdly some of the ultras do - go figure?).
I've run the Reading Half and kinda thought that was as far as I would go.  But it's been long enough now that I've forgotten how painful and hard it was and I've been tempted by the beauty of a marathon on roads, but out in the wild - the Loch Ness Marathon
So I'm all signed up, flights and accommodation booked and training plans perused as I decide which will work best for me.
The marathon isn't until the end of September so I have loads of time.  My first goal - hit 10 miles for my long runs by May.  I can then start to focus on 26!  
I'm quite excited if a bit nervous.
But that might be because, not content with pushing my body further than ever before, I've also decided to run for charity.  Can I raise £500 before September?  I hope so.
Many years ago I had an accident with some hot water which put me in hospital for a good 6 weeks.  The team at the Salisbury Burns Unit looked after me and got me back on my feet and I've come from not being able to stand up straight to aiming to run a marathon.
I've wanted to say thank you for years and so this is my chance.
If you'd like to read more about my experience and sponsor me please visit my JustGiving page.  Thank you.

No comments: